Abbasi-Markaz Student Fellowship
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: The Abbasi-Markaz Student Fellowship 2021-22
The Abbasi Program in Islamic Studies and the Markaz Resource Center jointly invite applications for a one-year undergraduate fellowship.
The purpose of the fellowship is to foster student-led campus conversations on themes related to Islam or Muslim societies and cultures in any historical or regional context. In consultation with faculty, the Abbasi-Markaz fellow will identify themes of current interest to the Stanford community, curate a number of events with academics or speakers whose work engages with scholarship on Islam and Muslims, and organize the events through the Abbasi Program and the Markaz.
The fellowship has three interrelated components:
- Programming: Identify relevant themes and speakers, and curate up to 4 events per year. (Events to commence Fall 2021 but planning will begin Summer 2021).
- Outreach: Publicize events on social media, listservs, etc., and conduct outreach to maximize audience interest and event visibility. Write brief post-event reports for publication in newsletters.
- Mentorship: Commit to mentorship by Abbasi and Markaz-affiliated faculty or graduate students, in the form of one meeting a month with the designated mentor(s).
- Duration: Fellowship to commence July 2021 and end June 2022.
- Compensation: The Abbasi-Markaz Fellow will receive a stipend of $3000. A separate budget for this series (for speaker honoraria, event logistics, etc.) will be available, to be used in coordination with the Abbasi program staff and faculty.
- Students must be sophomores, juniors, seniors, or co-terms
- Students must have either enrolled or continuing status for Summer 2021, and must be enrolled for Fall 2021, Winter 2022, and Spring 2022.
- Students from all departments / schools can apply
- Students in Islamic Studies, Religious Studies, Global Studies, Middle Eastern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (MELLAC), or in other departments working on relevant research, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Application Deadline: Friday, April 30, 2021
- Application Materials: Submit the following to Colin Hamill (email@example.com), Program Coordinator for the Abbasi Program, by the application deadline:
- Cover Letter
- Current CV or resume
- Up-to-date academic transcript
- One letter of recommendation by a faculty member (sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Inquiries: For any questions about the fellowship, contact Abiya Ahmed, Director of the Markaz, at email@example.com.