South Asia-Markaz Fellowship
The South Asia-Markaz Fellowship
The purpose of the fellowship is to foster student-led campus conversations on themes related to societies, cultures, religions, and issues in South Asia. In consultation with faculty and staff, the South Asia-Markaz fellow will identify themes of current interest to the Stanford community, curate a number of events with academics or speakers whose work engages with scholarship on South Asia, and organize the events through the Center for South Asia and the Markaz.
The fellowship has three interrelated components:
- Programming: Identify relevant themes and speakers, and curate up to 4 events per year.
- Outreach: Publicize events on social media, listservs, etc., and conduct outreach to maximize audience interest and event visibility. Write brief post-event reports for publication in newsletters.
- Mentorship: Commit to mentorship by CSA and Markaz advisors, in the form of one meeting a month with the designated mentor(s).
- Duration: Fellowship to commence September 2023 and end June 2024.
- Compensation: The South Asia-Markaz Fellow will receive a stipend of $3000 ($1000/quarter). A separate budget for this series (for speaker honoraria, event logistics, etc.) will be available, to be used in coordination with the Center for South Asia program staff and faculty.
- Students must be sophomores, juniors, seniors, or co-terms
- Students must be enrolled during the fellowship
- Students from all departments / schools can apply
- Students in Global Studies, Islamic Studies, Religious Studies, History, Sociology, Anthropology, or in other schools / departments working on relevant research, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Application Deadline: Tuesday, April 25th at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
- Application Materials: Applicants will submit the following via application form:
- Cover Letter
- Current CV or resume
- Up-to-date academic transcript
- One letter of recommendation by a faculty member, to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Inquiries: For any questions about the fellowship, contact Lalita du Perron, Associate Director of the Center for South Asia, at email@example.com, or contact Abiya Ahmed, Director of the Markaz at firstname.lastname@example.org
SOUTH ASIA-MARKAZ FELLOW
- Style, Storytelling, and Substance: the Socio-politics of the Hindi Film Industry with national award-winning director and screenwriter Neeraj Ghaywan and Nandini Ramnath, Film Editor at the Scroll.in. (February 28, 2022).
- The Perverse Impacts of Electoral Laws on India’s Political Economy with Professor Rajeev Gowda, a former Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha. (April 4, 2022)
- Democracy and its Discontents: The State of Civil Society in India with Aakar Patel of Amnesty International India and Meenakshi Ganguly the South Asia Director of Human Rights Watch. (May 25, 2022)