South Asia-Markaz Fellowship
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: The South Asia-Markaz Fellowship 2022
The Center for South Asia and the Markaz Resource Center jointly invite applications for a two-quarter undergraduate fellowship.
The purpose of the fellowship is to foster student-led campus conversations on themes related to societies, cultures, religions, and issues in South Asia. In consultation with faculty and staff, the South Asia-Markaz fellow will identify themes of current interest to the Stanford community, curate a number of events with academics or speakers whose work engages with scholarship on South Asia, and organize the events through the Center for South Asia and the Markaz.
The fellowship has three interrelated components:
- Programming: Identify relevant themes and speakers, and curate one event per quarter.
- Outreach: Publicize events on social media, listservs, etc., and conduct outreach to maximize audience interest and event visibility. Write brief post-event reports for publication in newsletters.
- Mentorship: Commit to mentorship by CSA and Markaz-affiliated faculty or graduate students, in the form of one meeting a month with the designated mentor(s).
- Duration: Fellowship to commence January 2022 and end June 2022.
- Compensation: The South Asia-Markaz Fellow will receive a stipend of $2000 ($1000/quarter for Winter and Spring 2022). A separate budget for this series (for speaker honoraria, event logistics, etc.) will be available, to be used in coordination with the Center for South Asia staff and faculty.
- Students must be sophomores, juniors, seniors, or co-terms
- Students must be enrolled for Winter 2022 and Spring 2022.
- Students from all departments / schools can apply
- Students in Global Studies, Islamic Studies, Religious Studies, History, Sociology, Anthropology, or in other schools / departments working on relevant research, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Application Deadline: Monday, November 1, 2021
- Application Materials: Submit the following to the Center for South Asia (email@example.com) by the application deadline:
- Cover Letter
- Current CV or resume
- Up-to-date academic transcript
- One letter of recommendation by a faculty member, to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inquiries: For any questions about the fellowship, contact Lalita du Perron, Associate Director of the Center for South Asia, at email@example.com, or Abiya Ahmed, Director of the Markaz at firstname.lastname@example.org